JUNE Art Newsletter...My Opening & Hungarian Embroidery



It's About to Go Down!

The show opens June 5, 2019! 




You may, or may not know I am having a solo exhibition at the Augen Gallery in Portland, Oregon starting tomorrow, Wednesday, June 5th.

Here are three reasons why I believe you should visit my show: The work is colorful, whimsical, and F-U-N! Even better, you'll see my newly experimented alcohol ink technique, which has a very flow-y look.
Glitter
 is even involved!

SHOW DETAILS: 

OPENINGS & ARTIST TALK
  • Wednesday Preview: June 5th 5-7:30pm (food & wine)
  • First Thursday: June 6th 5-8pm
  • Artist Talk: Saturday June 15 Noon
RUNS:
  • Wednesday, June 5 through Saturday, June 29, 2019
  • Regular hours: 11am - 5:30pm

Consider taking a friend, and making an evening of it!
I recommend the Canopy Hotel on NW 9th Avenue as a great place to start (or end) your evening.

NOTE: If you can't make it to the openings or artist talk, I am happy to meet you at the gallery for a personal tour (I truly mean it.)
ADDITIONALLY: Take a photo of any of my new pieces at my show, share it to social media, and as a THANK YOU, I'll give you a free folded note card (with envelope), on the spot!

Image Above: Flow, 2019
Alcohol ink, acrylic paint, white charcoal, gel pen, glitter, beeswax.
39 x 27 in


Start to Finish

The process of a mixed media painting


My mixed media paintings are some of the most detailed, and media-intensive pieces I create, mainly because of the layering.

Below are the stages of media used within each image:

1. India Ink pen is drawn on traditional gesso
2. A yellow/ochre wash is painted over the doodles, then acrylic paint is used over the wash.
3. When the acrylic under painting is done, I melt/paint encaustic medium (beeswax + damar resin) over the painting. I use a heat gun to smooth it out. Finally, I draw/incise lines into the almost cool wax, and add oil paint into the lines.   


Fraternal Foliage (bounty), 2019
India ink, acrylic paint, encaustic medium, oil paint
40 x 60 in


Read more about the entire materials process: CLICK HERE

A Bit of Knowledge

Kalotaszeg Embroidery from Hungary


I am a definite Eastern European folk art enthusiast. In 2003, I spent three weeks in Hungary at an artist residency, and it was there, that I fell in love with Hungarian Kalotaszeg embroidery. This embroidery uses cotton thread stitched onto linen. I love the intense details, the celebration of the feminine, and the gorgeous designs.

There are many styles of embroidery in Hungary, and Matyo, Kalocsa, Kalotaszeg are among the most popular. (TIP: If you ever visit Budapest in the summer, be sure to visit the outdoor doily market near the castle, where you can buy these pillow cases.)


 


Once Again...Solo Show Starts Wed June 5th

 F-U-N is my why.
 

I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU! I wholeheartedly appreciate your reading my newsletter, and I hope you find value in my sharing my inner and outer creative world. ❤❤❤


Learn more about MY ART atcynthiamosser.com


Schedule a SHOW TOUR: info@cynthiamosser.com


Happy June! Thank you for reading! Cynthia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hands & Leaves as a Reminder to Play

Fling, a Drawing by Cynthia Mosser

Georges SEURAT'S Drawings