Feb 2020 Newsletter: What I Learned in NYC!

What I Learned in NYC!

My Trip to Gain More Art Exposure
 

Early this month I took two trips, one for business and one for pleasure. I'll start with the New York City trip.

For a long time, I have been interested in licensing my work. I researched online the best licensing expos, and found SURTEX a few years ago. As a result, I finally attended the SURTEX licensing expo (at the Javits Center) in NYC (Feb 2-5, 2020) to see what this licensing thing is all about. I learned that licensing is not a sprint, but a marathon, as I have a lot to learn about licensing itself, contracts, how to set up a good-looking booth, and how to create surface design patterns (and if I would like to even attempt surface design).


(A general image of the Surtex Fair)

There were artists, surface designers and licensing companies from all over the world with a huge variety of styles. I was very aware of the idea that this was a fact-finding mission. The exhibitors were there to sell, so my talking to them was carefully limited, and I kept my conversations short and sweet. What I did realize, is that my work, which incorporates pattern and color, could work beautifully in this setting.

One artist/surface designer, Shannon McNab, was very helpful, and is what one would call the artist liason for SURTEX. She teaches a class about surface design, as well as about SURTEX itself on SkillShare. I even sat in on one of her discussions of licensing. If you would like to learn more about licencing, she can be found on SkillShare.

The result of my trip was fantastic, as I was able to connect with two licensing companies, and met so many delightful artists who were very kind and cheerful. I'll keep you posted on how this goes!



(My former Art Institute of Portland colleague, James Anderson, took my image of NYC and rendered it in outline. He said he loved the two-point perspective. I was thrilled this image inspired him!)


My Second Trip: Irvine, CA

Succulent Central!


I feel lucky to have been able to take a week off to travel to NYC and Irvine, CA. On this California trip, I visited my good friends who live near the University of Irvine. What I love about visiting my friends is how much we do, and how much we see.

The trip consisted of my loving their succulent garden, and then visiting a succulent nursery.



Succulents are one of my FAVORITE species of plants due to their color, shape and variety. Seeing them thrive in this environment is so exciting!!!!!



Heather Robinson & Superfine Art Fair

A day-trip to LA


My friends and I also visited an art fair in LA called SUPERFINE. Here, my San Francisco-based artist/friend, Heather Robinson, was exhibiting her work, so I got to meet her in person, and view her work up close!!!




New Colored Pencil Work

Egg Aura 4



Just this past month I finished this colored pencil piece:
Egg Aura 4
Colored Pencil on Museum Board
12 x 9 in

I hadn't worked in colored pencil for a while, and was surprised to rediscover how long it takes to layer and blend. The blending is very much like blending colors with paint. The reason i started reusing this medium is I had a strong urge play with a drawing medium. And If you're wondering why often incorporate eggs into my work, it's because I love the shape, and then I love what they represent: potential!

If you would  like to purchase a print of this work (the original sold), you can choose your size directly from my website! www.tiny.cc/egg_aura_4

A 10 x 13 print costs only $55, and makes a great birthday or Easter gift!


That is all from here! Thank you for reading my latest traveling and art inspiration newsletter!

Have a wonderful day full of joy and love,

Cynthia 


Learn more about MY ART atcynthiamosser.com


Schedule a STUDIO TOUR: info@cynthiamosser.com



Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Twitter
Instagram
Instagram
Website
Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hands & Leaves as a Reminder to Play

Fling, a Drawing by Cynthia Mosser

MISS RIO Ottoman