A story about "Fraternal Foliage (glow)"

Fraternal Foliage (glow)

What the Fraternal Foliage series is all about

Fraternal Foliage (glow) is part of my "Fraternal Foliage" series, which I began in 2005. I love pattern and shape, and it all started with playing around in my sketchbook. I also grew up around around massive amounts of greenery in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, OR). Surrounding my house were layers of English ivy, and I was always under a canopy of by tall trees. In essence, the shapes in my painting are an abstract riff on dense leaf-like forms. Finally, I create movement by grouping, and strategically-placed bright color.

The painting itself is layered: I start with a drawing in the background, then add paint, and finally beeswax (encaustic medium) as the last layer. With a metal stylus, I write into the beeswax, which creates grooves. These grooves are then filled in with burnt umber (brown) oil paint, as well as white oil paint. 



See more of this series on my website at: www.cynthiamosser.com/fraternal-foliages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hands & Leaves as a Reminder to Play

Fling, a Drawing by Cynthia Mosser

MISS RIO Ottoman